Thursday, June 25, 2015

Countdown: 14 days

Dear Bloggie, I realized I have made a lot of empty promises to you since 2011. Therefore, I am going to update my blog everyday till the day I am back to Malaysia. :) However, I am not going to update this weekend, because I am heading to 阳嗍,桂林 tomorrow with my colleagues. I actually started to look forward and gets a little excited because it sounds fun. The best thing is, I don't need to pay for the trip! This is the second trip that they are sponsoring me. Oh mine, the hospitality here is awesome!

Today is also the last time I am teaching in my marketing class. Next week onward we will be revising for finals. After class, I stayed back to discuss their group assignments and chat a little with the other students.

I am having a dilemma.

Final year students here can't afford to fail the subjects this semester. The system in this polytechnic is different from every private uni in Malaysia. All students MUST graduate at the same time. If they did not pass their subjects and they will only get a certificate which signifies that one has only went for classes but did not pass all the subjects. In other words, their certificates will be meaningless even though they have completed the other subjects but only fail ONE subject in the college.

On the other hand, I can't just pass the students by giving them free marks! If they are almost there, I am kind enough to help them by adding 1 to 2 extra marks. However, as I know some of them are far away from passing currently, I don't feel right to add 20-30 marks for them just to let them pass. This will be unfair for the other students who worked so hard to pass. I have warned them since the first day of the class. I will fail whoever deserves to fail. The class will be taught in bilingual language, even so, all the exam questions will be in English. It is important for all of them to attend the classes and to PAY ATTENTION to every classes especially they do not have a good English speaking and writing skills. Some of them think I am kidding because the lecturers here will try their very best to let them pass. But too bad, I am from Malaysia, I work differently. Besides, I've already make the class as easy as it can. I used 18 weeks to teach only 3 chapters, 15 slides, they really can't complain much! Despite these, I cannot bear to fail them because the price they gonna pay is too high.

So what can I do....

Right now, I can only convince them to work harder and gave them extra classes hoping them can answer in their final exams. It's not the end yet. There is one more group assignment coming up which carries 20% and also final exams which carries 40%. If they are willing to work harder, passing with 60% is not a big problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment