Thursday, October 4, 2012

The DEBATE!

I always wanted to join a debate,
thought its gonna be superbly fun, 
and i was right, 
yesterday was awesome!

Yesterday was the first time I join debate, my very first time. Something very funny happened. I was assigned to be the one doing the introduction. Before that, our rules of debate are a little different, so i am not only doing the intro, i "attack" too! hahahahha. There are four of us in a group, 1 introduction, 1 summary, 2 rebuttal and 2 response. Of course, in between there are work periods for us. 

Introduction is important as it establish the fundamentals and set a base on the topic of respective houses. I was so nervous and excited at the same time. I was the first to speak on the day! ( I happened to be the first group and pros of the day!). The debate topic: Life of modern children is more competitive than that of the children in the past.

Embarrassing part

The time keeper say if ure ready you can go. And then i stand up, abit clumsy and nervous jiang greet good morning, then start my position presentation. While i speak, my hands was trembling, like very serious. =.=... ok i wasn't really nervous, but i just dont understand why my hands keep trembling. This made me thought of Ling Li Khoo, who tried to control her hand when she's shivering. 
Still remember we had this rule during english period, we need to speak english to each other, if not our marks will be deducted. we had a specific group, think about that, it's so fun :p and weird. emmm. Ok back to the topic, Ling Li was in my group in the final presentation. I can still remember she sat beside me when we were about the present. She told me something like:" lee thong, I am shivering...". And then i can see her face very desperate to control when its her turn to present... 

"When her right hand trembles, she used her left hand to hold the paper, then when her left hand starts to tremble after awhile, she change position again."

LOL. Bad me, still laugh at her during the presentation. Everytime my hand trembles i think of her everytime i will feel like want to laugh out loud but i can't so everytime i have to hold back. My voice thus, became very weird, cz i am holding back my laughters. =.=. If I laugh nobody will get it, they will probably think i am crazy. zzzzz.

This is the picture i draw with my laptop without mouse. heeeeeee. Pink lollipop shirt- Ling Li Khoo, Green shirt- Me. Purple- Yes, Vincent Wong also laughed at her! so bad! 


Ok, back to my debate, I am lazy to type out everything so i will just make a summary of that. I thought i can't think fast but actually i can! hahaha. And we actually "argued" better without the need to quoting and formal talk. heeeeee. I am lucky because one of my group member is very experienced and her tone is superb! Learn something new from her yesterday :D. The other group members are very good also, they are very dedicated and responsible. We had fun and we are still friends to each other! Never win a debate but lose a friend!

Some epic parts:

Cons intro: Barack Obama is one of the example of the children in the past, and today he lives his life successfully after so many competitions he had been through. It has shown that Barack Obama compete hard during his childhood to be successful today.( with source ).

Pros: Barack Obama is only ONE example. Now we are talking about majority.

Cons: Children are more competitive in the past because there's no technology and they have to do everything by themselves. For example they need to walk or take a bus to go school, do house chores themselves. 

Pros: I disagree with your definition of competition. Competition is rivalry between at least two persons or group for an object desired in common. ( with source ).So you are saying that walking to school is a competition? Compete with who? Compete with what? Compete who goes to school faster? Compete who clean the house better? You can only say that they are independent and live in a challenging life, but not competitive. 

Cons: I think you have narrow minded on the meaning of competition. Competition can be in many form. ( explanation )New points-Technology is suppose to make our life easier.

Pros: Indeed, technology makes life easier, but bear in mind, it also increase the number of competitions. With advance technology, a competition is easier to be promoted to the public and this will increase the number of participants. Besides that, there are many competitions are now upgraded to international level. In the past, yes we cannot deny there are competitions, but you only compete in a small range. Now when it got up to international level, you compete with anyone, ANYONE as long as he/she lives in the earth. Show statistic of children in competition ( with source ). Connie Talbot, enhance the public and impress Simon Cowell in the Britains got Talent show with only 6 years old singing somewhere over the rainbow. This means, a 7 years old will not be that impressive as 6 years old anymore. It is getting more competitive in terms of the ages of talented children are getting younger and younger.(Many more examples: ballet school, Eden Wood the 2 yr old miss pageant, disco ball kids and so on)

Cons conclusion: Competition does not necessary need another party, you can compete with you, yourself too! ( I am impress of their conclusion)

These are all basically my points as a pro towards cons. :D We never stop fighting with the definition of competition after the debate. LOL!!! Looking forward to the next debate :D




5 comments:

  1. Wow.the drawing is good..and I noe in the last pic, the pink shirt is u!!!hahaha..and good lo..I nvr seen a debate b4.also nvr join..sounds found seeing wat u type

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe. why u so smart????? hehehehe. found means? u wanna type fun is it? heeeee :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cz I cn recognize u..ya.I mean fun..typo

    ReplyDelete
  4. zz not a good experience and i hope that would be the last time -.- if not mistaken i told u that im pro at shivering lol. and the last pic, u r d pink one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! yaya. pink shirt wit a pony tail! u guess it urself or u knw it from ks's comment and showing me ure somehow disagree? :p

    ReplyDelete